Monday, April 30, 2007

ARE YOU SMARTER THAN A 5TH GRADER??

Have you seen the new game show, Are You Smarter Than a 5th grader? It is a new game show on television. Wow, they put those "older" contestants through agony over the simplest 5th grade questions. But little Miss Anne, the 5th grader, answers quickly and easily and of course she is right. The kids laugh at the adults!!! When I was in school, I remember saying, "I don't know why I have to study this, I'll never use it in my life!!!" UNTIL NOW. Iit is required knowledge if you want to play this new game.
I go over to my best friend's house about every month. We just started playing a game called, Brain Quest. It has a board where you roll but you can't move unless you answer the question correctly. There are questions for 1st through 6th grade. You answer the question that is equivalent to your grade level. If you are in 7th grade or an adult, you answer the 6th grade question. This should be no problem, Right?
The subjects are Math, Science, Social Studies, English, and Grab Bag. I hate Social Studies questions, so what do you think I continually got? Social Studies!!!
My friend, her son and I start playing this game. We are smarter than we think. The kid knows all the answers, for example: Who was Timmie's father in the book, Old Tom's Cabin? Which triangle has the widest angle: obtuse, right, or acute??? The answer is obtuse. But doesn't acute sound more correct. Acute means: sharp pointed, sharpen, sensitive (acute hearing), keen of mind. It just sounds more important and more immediate, like it HAS to be the correct answer. (It also means less than 90%) Obtuse is the correct answer and means: blunt, slow to understand. See it just sounds wrong. (It also means greater than 90% and less than 180%.) I think we should look at a 360% angle!!!
I was holding my own until I got this question: What island in the British Isles is made completely of limestone? It gave me no choices or no clues. I am sitting there trying to think of where the British Isles are!!!! There was no way I was going to get this one right. Basically, I had no luck because I have no idea what the answer is. My time is almost up and I try to give an answer; anything. I spouted, "The Rock of Gibraltar" Sam checks the answer and it's right!!! I say, "No way," not believing until I see the card. I was right! How could I possibly pull something out of the air like that and get it right???!!!
Well, I was proud of myself, enough to Blog about it!!!
Sam won the game, the youngest of us all, as expected. OH WELL. Cool Game.



ARE YOU SMARTER THAN A 5TH GRADER? QUESTION OF THE DAY:
What is 0.868 rounded to the nearest hundredth?

No comments: